Re: [RC] Using breast collars on flat trails... - Lynn Kinsky

> But in the "anything can happen" sense that has me wearing a helmet as
 well, I think a loosely adjusted b.c. is cheap insurance--and because
 I'm part of a saddle co., don't want people to think that anyone riding
 in one can get along without a b.c.

It is the very reason that I wear a helmet that I DON'T use a breast collar.
And a loose-fitting one is all that more of an invitation to getting hung up
on something, or getting something hung up in it.  I've never seen anyone
yet be MORE severely injured from wearing a helmet than they would have been
without one.  Having seen about as many wrecks caused by breast collars as
prevented by them, I'd rather not, thank you...  One of the most interesting
ones actually didn't do TOO much damage--lady got on her horse at the start
of a ride in her camp area, and got the breast collar hung up on the mirror
of her pickup truck.  Fortunately the mirror broke off before anyone got
seriously hurt, and although she got dumped and the horse made a couple of
passes through camp, no one was injured.  So it is the "anything can happen"
sense that keeps them OFF my horses....

Heidi

Getting a breastcollar hung up on a car mirror?! That isn't an indictment of the piece of tack, but rather that some rider is clueless as to how to fit it and adjust it (and yes, a helmet must fit and be adjusted properly too if its to do its job and not cause cervical injury during a fall).
--
Lynn Kinsky Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky