Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 8:57 PM
Subject: [RC] Training Questions

My basic training schedule up to this point has been 6 -8 miles 5/days/wk.  Roughly 1 15 minutes time. I try to get in a longer ride on the weekends. We have completed 2 25's, but I am concerned with my horse's ability to pulse down.  Seems to hang in the upper 70's.
Last night reading(this is all I read about anymore!) stated if the horse is having trouble pulsing down, he has been pushed too fast.

Ummm..... you are training TOO MUCH!  Back off on the # of days you ride..... 5 days per week is not necessary...  Go to 3 or 4 days per week at most  -- including weekends.  Do about 5 miles most of those days and add a 15-20 mile ride maybe once per week...   After all, he IS only 6 years old and NOT an Arab.  Not to say he needs to be an Arab, but non-Arabs traditionally don't have the recovery capacity that Arabs have.  So slow down a bit and he will last you a LOT longer!!!  :)

Susan in Louisville (AERC #1108)