[RC] [Guest] Weed free hay soapbox - Ridecamp Moderator

Penny Trinca penny-trinca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HI group, I started to send this reply off-list, but then thought I'd send
it out to all. Having weed free hay is very important to local farmers and
ranchers here in Utah. Our hay crops are multi million dollar enterprizes
that are threatened by the introduction of weeds. A hay farmer can't sell
his crop across state lines unless it is certified weed free by the ag
inspector.  Weed seeds travel in tire treds, in hoof material, in manure
from animals feeding in weedy areas, and from riders forking out weedy hay
out onto the countryside when camping or out for a ride. As a state we spend
tons of money and even more tons of volunteer sweat digging out those pesky
weeds from public and private lands. I guess this may not be true in other
places, but in the West, we take weeds very seriously. I'll be off this
soapbox in a second here, but in addition to monetary losses, the exotic
weeds push out the native vegetation and are not eaten by the local
wildlife. You can see whole mountainsides of pretty yellow flowers and
plants, but watch withered starving deer trying to chew out the last shreds
of native grass. Please don't cheat and use your weed-free tag on weed
infested hay. P.S. the bailer twine has to be the color indicated on the
certificate too.

Penny, digging out weeds in Utah.

From: Ridecamp Moderator <ridecamp-moderator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   [Guest] Travel Papers

Buytheline@xxxxxxx

Can anyone tell me what papers they get to travel through Nevada and
Utah.  I am tired of getting Coggins and health certificates to go to the
Bryce ride and never using them.  I know, Murphy's law will prevail and
don's walk the line if you can't pay the time.  Is there a time out and in
a state that travels can use on the brand inspector or entering and exiting
states.  No, I don't own a bale of weed free hay but I do have a tag from a
bale that I travel with.