[RC] question for the vets out there... - A. Perez

 I've decided to take my TWH gelding to the local equine
hospital to find out why his breathing sound like a steam engine
about to blow.  Someone suggested that he is a roarer.  I had my
vet look at him a couple of times and she ruled out heaves.  She
scoped him and saw nothing amiss, but said a treadmill test is
really required to make definitive diagnosis of Laryngeal
Hemiplegia (roaring) (thats $500 I don't really have, but I want
to know what's going on). She thought allergies could be a
factor, but I have not found antihistamines to help (though I
admit I do not dose him daily).

 All the descriptions of 'roaring' I have read talk about a
high-pitched 'whistling' sound: my guy is not doing this.  He
makes a deep sound, quite loud, and takes very rapid, shallow,
irregular breaths.  It get worse when he is excited, and he doed
it right from the start of a ride, not just when tired.  steep
uphill climbs are especially taxing.  He keeps it up for about
15 minues after a brisk rides, then does a big deep sigh and his
breathing returns to normal (quiet).  I rode with an endurance
rider last weekend (Bob Walsh) and he said, after our 13 mile
ride, that Ct sounded like he was about to keel over.  He
listened to his heart rate after we had untacked and hosed him
down, it was 64, and cy ate eagerly (wouldn't drink, though).
He also is a prfusive sweatter - wringing wet within 10 minutes
of starting out if we go faster than a walk.

Are there disorder to rule out?  I want to know what to ask the
vets at the hostpital, and am worried about over working him at
the OD training rides.

Thanks

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more