Re: [RC] Helldiver, eh? - Heidi Smith

>Heidi, it sounds great!  I hope I can do it one day.  How did the horses enjoy the ferry boat ride?

The horses never seem to fuss at all about the ferry.  It is probably not much different for them from being on the road, but the motion is less bumpy.  They had their hay nets and their water buckets in the trailer, and were happy as clams.

I forgot my great ferry story in my original write-up....  We had just gotten on the Trans-Canada highway north of the Sumas border crossing, headed for the Tsawassen ferry near Vancouver, when a rig pulling a horse trailer passed us.  I took one look at the modest motor home and trailer with panels attached and said to Paul, "That's GOT to be another endurance rider!"  At any rate, we kept up with them through the traffic along the south side of Surrey, but finally got separated at the last stoplight before the 99 freeway.... <sigh>  I missed the "shortcut" to the ferry and ended up on the truck route--in a traffic jam!  As we inched along, we worried about missing the ferry altogether, never mind the half-hour cut-off that guaranteed us a spot given that we had horses.  But the jam finally broke up, and we got underway in the nick of time--arriving at the ferry terminal 32 minutes before sailing!  Sure enough, there in the horse trailer lane was this same rig, with two ladies out behind it waving us up into the lane--they said that when they passed us, they just KNEW that we had to be endurance riders, because of the look of the rig and the panels on it....  <g>  (Never mind that our PNER sticker was kind of a give-away...)  The two ladies turned out to be Elaine Bessville and Sarah McIntosh.

Heidi