Re: [RC] stifle locking question - Daniela Mielke

My gelding had a locking stifle early this year - the first diagnosis said that the patella ligament was overextended and he was to rest for a couple of days followed by a lot of long slow hill work. Since this somehow didn't sound right (endurance horses with a lot of hill conditioning don't usually have that problem) I brought him to UC Davis for a second opinion - they diagnosed a mild tear in the medial patella ligament (most likely from some short of a fall)... which meant stall rest, handwalking and slow rehab - chances for total recovery are supposed to be good (that is what I was told and what I am praying for) - we are now 6 months into his rehab and he seems fine.

So, based on this experience, my suggestion would be to have his patella ligaments ultrasounded to rule out any tears. Starting him on hillwork or doing an iodine injection might not be the right answer....
Good luck - Daniela

Do you Yahoo!?