[RC] Recording of the AERC BoD conf call July 29 online - Michael Maul

The AERC Board of Directors held a meeting by conference call on July 29 at 6 PM PDST which lasted about 2 hours.
By having meetings more often - decisions can be more timely than just happening at the Convention and Mid year meetings.
Plus we will not need to have marathon meetings when we do meet in person.

Minutes are not available yet from the meeting but members can listen to the a recording of the meeting online. When the minutes are approved - they will appear online and in EN.

That said - there is a qualification. The recording is a mp3 file that's 27M in size. If you have DSL, cable, or some other form of high speed connection - this isn't a problem. It downloads and plays in less than 3 minutes for me. But on a modem that's connected at 50K - it's a 2+ hour download. Then 2 more hours to listen.

The original recording was 112M and it was compressed to 27M with good quality.

To listen to the recording - log in to your AERC members page at

http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/aerc/mbr/

then chose the link at the left titled July 29 BoD conference call.

Clicking once in Internet Explorer on it will bring up the option of "Save it to disk" or "Play". If you save it to disk - then you can use a program like Winamp to play it - fast forward, back, etc. It also works in Netscape 4.79 but the 1.4 Mozilla just plays it and doesn't offer the save option.

Choosing "Play" will eventually start the playback at a time depending on whether the program you use for mp3 files buffers - then plays - or saves then plays.

If you have forgotten your login/passwd - the system will email it to you at whatever the email address on record is if you enter your aerc number after failing to log you in successfully.

If you have a problem logging in to your members page - send me email at mmaul@xxxxxxxxxx

Send me comments if you like this form of keeping members aware of what happens at BoD meetings. Note that there are no official minutes of the meeting until after approval by the BoD. The recording does not constitute an "official" record at this point.

Please don't download more than once as there is a bandwidth limitation at the site I'm using.

If there is a knowledgeable person reading this that knows how to reduce the sampling rate even further and make a smaller file - please do so and let me know where it is.

Mike Maul
AERC Director-at-Large