[RC] Subject: mares - Gretchen Bass

Yesterday the farrier was out to trim my 4 horses.  2 arab mares, 1 arab gelding and 1 pony gelding.  The pony gelding was first and we've only had him for a few weeks so was his first time to be trimmed by my farrier.   He acts fine when I clean his hooves but was rearing up for the farrier before the farrier even started trimming.  My farrier tied him with a short lead onto the fence and he was fine afterward.  My arabian gelding was acting a fool the entire time.  He has been trimmed by this same farrier since he was a yearling (he's 5 now) and never had been a problem before, but yesterday a bee must have been in his bonnet as he was acting a fool - pawing, fighting the lead, etc.  He started acting foolish even before the farrier got there.  Anyhow he was fine to have 3 of his hooves trimmed then would not allow the last to be trimmed.

My mares on the other hand were both sweeter than pie for the farrier.  Even the 3 year old acted as quietly about it as the 21 year old.

Geldings... Arrugh!

Gretchen