Re: [RC] Fast LDs and the lack of 100 mile riders - Truman Prevatt

Eleventh place is no better than last place. So if you can't top 10 the only award worth fighting for  is  turtle. True some rides give "middle of the pack" but that depends on things out of your control like how many finished, etc. With turtle you control your own destiny.

A few points. Spend time lobbying the ride manager about the turtle award - they should go away thinking it is by far the most important award they give out (if to finish is to win to finish last is the true winner worthy of the best (and most expensive prize)- you get the drift) and spend accordingly. Secondly size up your competition, know their habits and start to get into their heads on Friday - "on my last ride I beat the cutoff by 3 nanoseconds" is a good line.

Make sure you go out last and keep the competition in front of you. If you have a crew be sure they watch them in the check so they don't sneak off and hide and go out behind you.  Also keep an eye open on the trail - I've even heard some hide in the bushes to let you pass so they can bring up the rear. And you women be careful, sometimes chivalry is used to get you in front and hence secure the turtle award. I hear rumors - not confirmed - this is one of John's favorite tricks:-).

Truman

John A. Teeter wrote:
Laurie Hilyard
not being the turtle was an achievement!

Being a turtle seems to have become quite the endurance competition!

It is a difficult position to claim, requiring, at least in the Northwest,
attention to pacing and forethought in the area of competitive strategies
and trail etiquette:)

johnt