Re: [RC] Hidalgo Fallout--50 Mile Race Won by 2-Year Old? - Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maryanne Stroud Gabbani" <msgabbani@xxxxxxx>
 I'm sorry but
Disney has a certain reputation and people tend to believe that what
comes from the Disney factory has credibility.  Credibility is an
important issue.

This is probably very unfortunate but true.  However, Disney actually has a
very BAD reputation
for early treatment of animals in movies (ole' Walt would set up any
situation to get his "shot").
I remember reading about this, and researching it in college, is some
long-forgotten animal science
class where we briefly touched on animal ethics.....

So....please don't ask me to back this up with references....but what I
REMEMBER what that the total
misuse and disregard with what Disney and his studio's treated animals
helped spark the interest and
protection that eventually developed ethical treatment of animals in movies
(Humane Society involvment)
Of them all, Disney was the worst.

Things I remember in particular are all the cruel methods to get certain
cute and dramatic shots of aminals in
all his sweet little nature films and shorts in the 60's. Any of you old
folks like me remember the nature movie of
the desert, with a bobcat at the top of a saguaro cactus?  The way that was
made was to chain-link fence around
the cactus, and turn the bobcat in there with a bunch of dogs.....all those
cute animal stories about the little baby
foxes/bunnies/coyotes, etc, playing innocenty, then along comes evil Mr.
Bear or Mt. Lion, again, all set up with all variety
of animals penned up together and prodded to fight.
IMHO Disney taught an entire generation of gullible kids that predators were
"evil" (his movies always had the evil
guys in them)

The research left me with a very bad taste in my mouth about Disney....and
STILL sure don't get all the hype about his
energy-gulping amusement park and characters.......even as I KID, I would
have rather gone RIDING!!! than be dragged to Disneyland.!

If Hidalgo is truly presented by Disney as a "true story", I will personally
boycott it. I do not think it will present a good
representation of endurance riding in any form.
Karen