[RC] New Poll on LD - rides2far

Should LD's be changed to follow the same rules as longer distances
with
full credit in the endurance program for LD points and mileage?

What's up with this? We just had a long discussion on the AERC list that
I wish had been on RC also so I wouldn't have to go over it all again to
get the ridecamper's viewpoints. The question was, why the decline in
100's? Truman seemed to be of the opinion that the 100's are pretty much
a dying breed and we might as well accept the trend. People asked, "why
don't more people try 100's now?" My argument was what incentive do we
give them to be risk takers and shoot for the stars? There is an entire
awards system for 25 milers, with a zillion jackets given out nationwide
and absolutely nothing exclusively for 100's. It's as if we have an
entire incentive program wet up to discourage people from challenging
themselves. Now you want to increase the incentive?

Earlier today some of you discussed what made people want to try a 100 I
think it is something you want to do when you've reached your lower goals
and want to continue to stretch your limits and test yourself. It's
something that almost none of us feel "ready" to do, but we take that
leap of faith and scare ourselves silly trying it...and as often as not
find we are capable of more than we realize.

There are some people out there who say that if I tell a 25 miler, "You
should try a 50, you can do it!" that I am saying "You doing a 25 miler
is nothing. You're nothing until you try a 50" What I'm saying is, "You
have more ability than you think. Believe in yourself a little!"  I'm
tired of people who want to constantly lower the standards to try to make
someone else feel more successful. Making an LD count towards lifetime
endurance mileage on some computer will not mean that the rider has met
the challenge of doing a 50 by doing 2 LD's...or a 100 by doing 4! It
appears as if your goal is to hold people back!

But...what if they start doing 50's...and then 100's...and they're better
than Truman...or me...or any of us who have already done 100's. Will *we*
be less important then? Maybe. But if they do I'm going to be inspired to
increase my level of competition.  Before you begin any program you
should ask yourself...what sort of actions would this encourage and are
they desirable?  Do we want more riders to stay in the ranks of the LD's
forever? Is that best for the new LD'ers who come in to have to compete
with lifetime LD'ers? Who decides what polls will be put on the SERA
site?

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA