Re: [RC] bits and stops!! - Stephanie E Caldwell

>>Somehow, people have gotten the idea that a bit is a brake.

That idea doesn't sound so farfetched to me. I don't haul on my horses mouth to stop, but if I'm not horribly mistaken all disciplines allow some tightening of the reins to halt. Even reining.

> So, is your vehicle equipped with the brakes attached to the STEERING WHEEL?

Well.... Last time I tried locking down my brakes without holding onto the steering wheel I ended up in the neighbors hay field, I think they're all connected.

>A bit (or hackamore  or bitless bridle) is a signalling device.

Who said it wasn't?

>TRAINING is what stops a horse;

Training is fine and dandy as long as everything is going your way, but when a horse is truly spooked *pain* is the only think that will stop them. In my ten years I've only seen one horse truly terrified and she got herself stuck on a RP before she stopped.

>Champion reiners stop from a dead run ON A LOOSE REIN!!

What kind of bit is that "loose" rein attached to and how much are your reins weighted? My old cutting horse wore a spade bit, he'd stop with a very small hand movement, but I still CUED him with his bit and my seat. Face it, it's pretty much the same pressure to the horse whether it's 1 lb on a 7" shanked curb or 7lbs on a snaffle. It just sounds good to say you can stop on a loose rein.

>Almost all can stop their horses with NOTHING on the horse's head.

Well... If "almost all" can stop their horses then why was it a huge deal when the guys bridle broke in his reining pattern at congress a few years back?

>You simply are not going to get a horse to stop his FEET by pulling on his mouth/ head.

A horse will stop however he's trained, and how he's trained is a personal choice. After becomine partially paralyzed and unable to use my seat much my horse cues completely off reins and voice. I've not had any problems.

>My advice is to look up a GOOD reining trainer.

The guy I took lessons from was National Champion, and he told us to take some on the reins in a curb and take pressure in a snaffle... Hmmmmmmmm he must not have been good.

Reining isn't the answer to everything, and just as much abuse goes on there with bits as anywhere else!
Steph