Re: [RC] TWH/Bitless Bridle - Merryben

In a message dated 7/20/2003 8:13:15 AM Central Daylight Time, roleyed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Whips, spurs, expressions on horses faces which did not look like they were having fun. We couldn't stay much longer than 20 minutes. Couldn't take it.

And you missed the good old days before they cleaned up their act, sort of.  Caustic substances, blood running down the legs where the chains rubbed off the scabs and various and sundry other abuses.  This is one of the reasons I think the TWH is one of the best natured breeds in the world.  I was always surprised that they did not turn mean and kill their handlers.  The old show horses looked like frogs trying to crawl out of a jar.  The worst was after the show back in the barns when they could not stand still because of the pain.  But.......the trainers did it to win because if they did not win the owner got another trainer and the public thought it looked just beautiful......mb