[RC] [Guest] Shoeing TWH - Ridecamp Guest

Bruce Weary, D.C. bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Ridecampers--

  I'm not a regular camper, but I review Ridecamp often, and I thought I'd
respond to the question about shoeing TWH's for endurance. I have been
training three TWH's for endurance and have done several 50's on them, and
have found that they travel much better and are more sure footed when shod
with a shorter toe and a good amount of heel, as well as thought given to
the horses conformation. Remember that TWH's have an overstride, which is in
part responsible for their smooth gait, so when traveling over difficult
terrain, as opposed to arena sawdust, the front feet can sometimes be
delayed, as with any horse, when they are choosing their footing. If they
have a long toe, this delays their breakover even longer, leading to more
tripping and stumbling. While I don't think that a typical TWH needs special
shoeing, there may be less room for error when choosing angles, and toe/heel
length. I will say that I feel much better after a 50 miler ridden on a TWH.
They don't go as fast,and take longer to recover, but what a way to see the
countryside, especially if you're riding with kids,as we do,or a spouse who
might not otherwise even get on a horse with you if not for the smooth
gaits. We're keeping the arabs,too, which keeps my health insurance agent
happy.

Good luck--- Bruce Weary, D.C.