[RC] Building Base - DVeritas

Everyone is providing wonderful advice and I'm sure folks who really want the information are benefiting from the input.
    I think it is important to remember that building a horse who can be ridden safely and in control is integral to being able to build base.
    It's been said of many horses when first introduced to distance riding at speed, "I just get on and he just goes and goes and never tires."  I guarantee, one day he will.
    The ability to "rate" a horse is vital in getting a horse who can be safely ridden, and then can work through the terrain and gaits necessary to get that "base."
    So, I recommend actual training of the horse and rider who can trust each and rely on each other to find the symbiosis needed to (not only to survive endurance riding), but who can actually enjoy the great pleasures waiting out there on the trails.
    Then, I'd build "base."
    (Yes, the trail can be used to do this, and for many of us it is perfect...for others, arenas, indoor or outdoor can be used to facilitate the confidence for horse AND rider necessary to be able to pursue endurance dreams.  Once the mutual respect and confidence is there, endurance conditioning on trails can be safely pursued.)  In other words, spend as much time as possible working with the horse to build true symbiosis, and when that happens, ANYTHING is possible and quite probable.
    ---Frank