Re: [RC] Coastal Hay - Susan Garlinghouse

Charleston, SC area. Supposed to be really good hay.
Since I purchased this RB several friends have told me
that Coastal impaction colics horses very easily.

It can, but also, switching horses over to a different type of hay is a big
part of the problem, not just the type of hay itself.

My suggestion when you buy any type of hay, is to go through a hay broker
and ask for the ADF analysis on the hays you're considering.  The lower the
ADF content, the more digestible it is and less likely to cause impaction
problems.  No guarentees, and it's not a Get Out of Jail Free card to bypass
good management practices (like water and taking plenty of time to introduce
new feeds), just a handy way to pick out the better hays available.

Sunday AM when I went out to feed I found my horse
laying flat out on the ground and acting minor colicy.
I pulled her off pasture and put her in a stall with
soupy beet pulp; chalked it up to her water being
frozen and her not drinking at least overnight...

Could have been a big part of it.

What do y'all think of coastal hay? Should I give the
RB back to the hayman for his horses and cows?

Take a sample to the feed mill, ask for an analysis and go from there. (or
ask the guy you bought it from if he had it analyzed).

Susan G