Re: [RC] bitless bridle- late night musings about bridles and bits from a designer - Sullivan

I use the bit that suits the horse the best, for the control I desire.
Currently one is in a simple, plastic happy mouth bit, that is about as
mild
as one can get. The other, I am now changing to a shanked hackamore, with
wide biothane curb strap.  You can never generalize any piece of equipment
will work on ALL horses, with ALL riders. Find what works best for you.
Ask
to borrow one before you buy, to see if it will work. (as the one rider
wanted to try the S Hackamore recently) Or, you can just buy it, and if it
does not work, hang it up, and renew your membership to the bit of the
month
club! <grin>

Jonni in TX

Jonni, These are words of wisdom.  I would rather ride on a totally loose
rein on the trail,
instead of trying to maintain any kind of contact. It seems counter
productive, as when you
start trying to collect the horse, it loses the total relaxation that gives
the fast, head-bobbing
walk or free trot.  I have a lot of faith that a horse can, with sufficient
miles and muscling, learn
to carry himself and a rider efficiently without the rider messing with some
sort of collection, or contact. .
The horse is capable of learning how to maintain whatever gait you want on a
loose rein, until
you give another cue to slow or speed up.  I am also lazy and would much
rather do this with
voice commands anyway...

As for bit, I get fed up with sanctimonious folks who claim every horse
should be ridden in a
snaffle.  This just is not the real world.  I have had horses that just
detest linked bits.  I have had
horses that REQUIRE severe curbs, but go along on a loose rein.  Having
eneded up with several
horses with somewhat checkered pasts....you don't know what was done, or
what didn't work.
I too, hate to see riders going along hanging on the reins or the horse
pulling on a snaffle.

Current two horses go in mild Kimberwicks....my daughters Arab can be ridden
in a rope or web halter, even
in groups.  Youngster is in a happy mouth baby snaffle for training...no
telling how she will end up.
I used to ride my Appy in one of those "awful" mechanical hackamores,
however, we went along on the
trail on a loose rein, me slumped bareback, and had a great time.

Karen