Re: [RC] Lameness - PENS?? - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Read my earlier post re PENS.  If you can find an equine vet that has their
veterinary acupuncture certification (which takes about 150 hours of
additional training and a bunch of exams, I just finished mine last month),
then they'll be familiar with electroacupuncture.

I know a lot of people consider acupuncture to be 'unicorn medicine' and I
also remain unconvinced about some of the systemic benefits touted.  But,
the physiology of the EA/PENS is pretty straightforward---you're introducing
a mild electrical current into a muscle group or alongside a peripheral
nerve tract that stimulates repetitive contraction and relaxation, and that
sort of 'exhausts' the muscle so that it's much looser afterwards, allowing
better blood flow, removal of waste products, relief of pain, etc.  Not very
different from a good massage.  Most horses love it once they get used to
the weird sensation, mine get all droopy-lipped and sleepy.  IMO,
chiropractic manipulation only works long-term if the soft tissue issues
have also been addressed, and if you can get the muscles to relax and stop
yanking things around and hurting, you've solved 90% of the problem.

Colorado State has been using EA/PENS as an adjunctive therapy in a
double-blind study in dogs undergoing orthopedic surgery and is consistently
finding that the dogs that got the additional therapy need less post-op pain
meds to remain comfortable.  As I commented above, I remain unconvinced
about some of the benefits claimed for acupuncture in general.  But, with
high intensity, low frequency current, the right needles and a good
knowledge of neuroanatomy, wow, it's a *very* powerful tool for
musculoskeletal issues and pain management.

Susan G, DVM