 Subj:    RTC Action Alert - Trail Funding Under Fire in Congress
 Date:    7/15/2003 5:39:54 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:    "RTC Alert" <rtcalert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

SPEAK UP FOR TRAILS AND GREENWAYS!!!

A U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee voted on Friday, July 11, to zero
out all funding for the Transportation Enhancements (TE) program for the fiscal
year beginning October 1. The TE program is the largest federal source of
funding in support of trails, walking and bicycling. We cannot allow this
program to be eliminated.

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - and advocates like you - helped establish the TE
program in 1991 and we will fight to oppose this unfounded Congressional action
in the full House Appropriations Committee and on the floor of the U.S. House,
if necessary. RTC President Keith Laughlin has written a letter to Congress
speaking out against this anti-trail measure and RTC staff and our partners are
generating support in Congress and raising awareness across the country.

We need your help.  Members of the U.S. House of Representatives need to hear
how important this program is to communities across the country. Call your
Representative today to:

Express your shock that the Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation and
Treasury voted to eliminate Transportation Enhancements.
Make your voice heard on the importance of TE funds in your district (go to
www.enhancements.org for a list of TE-funded projects in your area).
Explain that Transportation Enhancements should not be sacrificed while highway
funding continues to increase by billions of dollars.
Urge your Representative to do everything possible to save the Transportation
Enhancements program.
To contact your Representative, call the general switchboard at 202-224-3121
and ask to be transferred to their office. Or, locate their direct phone number
at http://clerk.house.gov/members/mcapdir.php.

If you do not know who your Representative is, click here and enter your zip
code under Find Your Representative: http://www.house.gov/

For background information and to read RTC President Keith Laughlin's letter to
Congress, go to: http://www.railtrails.org/whatwedo/policy/tea21b.asp

Keep us informed! Please e-mail RTC Advocacy Manager Ken Rosenfeld at
rtckenr@xxxxxxxxxxxx and tell him which Congressional office you contacted and
what you learned.

To support RTC: http://railtrails.tranguard.com/

Please forward a copy of this Action Alert to others who are interested in
saving funding for trails!