Re: [RC] FWD: stallions on trail - SandyDSA

It seems that 2 issues are at point here - stallions or ANY horses who are not well governed by their owners/handlers/riders, regardless of gender; and being careful not to paint all stallions with the same brush. It goes without saying that a recalcitrant stallion (or owner) needs to be plainly kicked out of any activity for which he is not well trained (owner included). In my mind, any horse who creates a hazard should not be allowed. At the same time, those who don't have a stallion or who think their horse of whatever gender is "no problem" whilst many others see differently, msut learn to be or continue to be cautious around ANY other horse, simply because horses are...horses. I would hate to think that anyone who has a bone to pick with a stallion would consider it open season to behave any which way around another horse, stallion or not, simply because "it is the STALLION owners responsibility to manage the horse". Yes, it is, just as it is a mre or gelding owners responsibility to demonstrate the same care. Having had one woman get up in my face because I asked her nicely to please not let her mare sniff my stallion's buttocks made me aware of just how much general ignorance there is out there - I don't want someone else's horse sniffing my MARE'S buttocks - they are stangers! I mean, would YOU want someone....well, never mind:). Our stallion has generally been so very guilty of...falling asleep in lineups at shows, wantign to visit with the vet instead of trottign out at rides...that sort of thing. But I don't allow others to aggravate him and I won't allow him to aggravate them. Hard to say in every case, but it usually IS the person, not the horse, who is the problem.

JPEG image