Fwd: [RC] DRESSAGE Lessons - JUDYK89

Also the fact that dressage lessons help build the correct muscles so that a horse can move more balanced, which in the long run saves legs, backs, and keeps the horse competing longer.  Which in my opinion is the whole point of this sport.

I think helping the horse to move more balanced is just as important as finding a good farrier to help the feet be balanced, which in turn helps the whole balance of the ride....you get the picture.

I take dressage lessons also (okay, I'm still on the very basic stuff here) but my instructor is also teaching my horse as I am learning.   The change in this horse (also OTT) in one year is absolutely amazing.   I, on the other hand, am taking longer to "get it," but I do see the need to learn by just looking at my horse.

Also, as an older rider getting started in this sport, I really like the idea of having more knowledge regarding "control" of the horse if it's needed. Like at the start of a ride or with technical footing, controlling speed of gate, etc.

So yeah, I think dressage is important for any rider, and more important for the horse unless you have an absolutely wonderful "natural" mover, and even then, I would think that unless you've taken some lessons yourself, the "natural movement" of even the best horse will start to deteriorate.

JMHO
Judy

--- Begin Message ---
When it comes to taking lessons, I too, have felt that dressage instruction
can be all about the test and not about riding.  I found that you need an
instructor that knows what you need to achieve and isn't concerned what your
intentions are about why you are taking the classes.  It's all about obedience
and
communication.
The instructor that I have right now is a very high level dressage rider and
judge, but he doesn't care what I am doing the rest of the time I ride.  As
long as I am working on the communication and my pony looks like he is "getting
it".  He instructs all kinds of riders from  pleasure to eventers and
dressage testers so he has a open mind about all disciplines.

I take dressage lessons and ride endurance, so what I do when it comes to the
idea of riding dressage and riding endurance is I use some of the info that
the dressage lessons teach, i.e. move forward off the leg, lower leg contact,
getting the horse to listen to the bit and leg... but I can't expect a horse to
ride in that collection  for 50+ miles.  when all things are going well and
you are getting the ride you are asking for (boy, thats a loaded statement)
then you can relax and ride pleasure riding.   BY that I mean minimal leg
contact
loose reins light seat.  But when there is some arguement about the speed,
frame, and balance of the ride or the rider isn't comfortable in the gait that
the horse is in then its time to have a conversation, with leg and reins about
that issue.  In other words, make the right things easy and the wrong things
hard.  When pony is not listening or ignoring the request then collection (the
hard thing) is employed.  Then we can get back to a nice relaxing ride (easy).

We all prefer, pony and rider to be relaxed and having a light conversation
than having a heavy conversation all the time.  Besides, that would be a tough
thing to ride a dressage test for many miles.  Even the  Dressage Grand Prix
ride is only about 10 minites.  And thats some conversation!
That's my take on the subject, Hope that helps.

Paula and Roc the hard head.   Eugene says he is very clever.
Cosmo is good as gold at home and needs to be ridden in a Grand prix test for
about 5 miles.