Re: [RC] dressage instruction for endurance riders - DESERTRYDR1

I would suggest a different instructor and individual lessons.  I take
dressage lessons from a certified instructor who is thrilled to teach a wide
variety
of students with a wide variety of riding interests.  She used some of our
lessons as examples in her certification testing.  She is teaching me correct
seat (which I feel is important no matter what my eventual riding style is) and
correct use of the aids.  She has done lots of work with me on control, as one
of my horses was a runaway, and the other was very green (bucking and running
backward during lessons)  She looks at each horse/rider combo as an
individual unit.  I have taken lessons on three different horses from her, and
with
each horse she started in a different place, and emphasized different things,
because that was what that particular horse (with me as the rider) needed.  She
has a wonderful communication style, and does NOT stand in the middle of the
arena and yell (except when my horse bucked, then she was yelling "SIT
BACK!!!").

Working individually rather than in a group will benefit you more, even
though the lessons are more expensive.  A good instructor will taylor the
lesson to
the riding you do, but there are certain things that you have to learn, like
the proper seat and aids, before you can go on to a half seat.  If you learn
the proper seat and aids, then all of your riding will be more balanced, and
your horse will respond better to your aids.  You will be in a better rhythm
with your horse, and riding will be more fun.

I have learned so much from her that my original horse, the runaway mare, no
longer tries to run away.  This is so interesting to me, because I hadn't
ridden her for about 2 years (she was leased out as a broodmare) and when I
started riding her again, lots of problems that I had previously had with her
had
just disappeared!  She obviously knew I was a better rider than I had been
before she went away.  jeri