Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Low Tevis entries - Annie George

From what I gather from several riders that have been on the trail the last few years it has become dangerous to the point of being redicilious.  I know some die hard Tevis riders will not go back becaus of that.  They say the deck is stacked just to far against the horses.  To many hold ups, and places you have to creep along, so you have to go to fast for that trail to finish. Not allot of OT's but the lame and metabolic pulls tell that story. I don't think very many preople at all are thinking of going fast to win or top 10. Thay just want to finish.  Not only  the horses falling off the trail. Which can happen anywhere.   When I was on it in '99 [dnf]  the part in the wilderness was really bad. A wet year. Horses were permanently ruined in that stretch. Nothing is worth that. I do understnad that it is a wilderness area, but isnt there any provision at all for some minimum trail work even if by a few hardies using their bare hands?  Just chucking rocks in the biggest holes would certinaly help.   When a horse gets stuck and cannot dislodge his leg, as I saw one horse do, it's like a bear in a trap.   Does anyone know what the actual rules of that particular wilderness is on that topic. I know that out here in New Mexico there is some minimal trail work in the wilderness areas.  It is great they have  re-routed parts of the trail this time. The need to pull  so many horses would certinaly go down with just a little more focus on horse safety in thoes few really bad spots. Higher completion rate would certinaly draw riders. I know the economy has hurt ride #'s this year, but I can't believe it is bad enough to effect Tevis.  I think the new qualifications to do the ride will  help the completion rate. I think it will help other things as well.  But I hope someone will tell me/us about the trail work in the wilderness.    Annie G.
Anne George Saddlery  www.vtc.net/~ageorge
----- Original Message -----
From: MARY VISCO
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] Low Tevis entries

Do you think that the low entries in the Tevis have anything to do with the low completion rates in the last 2 to 3 years. Many didn't finish because of a 15 to 30 minute gap. The ride has been slower (more difficult than it was in the past?) I understand that they made it a little easier this year.  I can't see the economy at least in this area as that great an influence on doing the Tevis.