[RC] Layoffs/Horse and Human ???? - Laurie Durgin

So as I sit here waiting on test result On rascal epm after treatment.Wondering when ,if ; he will hit the trail again. And riding (between downpours: like daily) Honey in the ring, teaching her to turn right,turn left, stop, back, stop when I get off balance, mounting from both sides, walking over poles , walking around cones, trying to teach her to walk faster, much less trot(I may actually have to use a crop, on my now pluggy, super sensitive, can bolt thorough fences mare.)And when I will be brave enough to take her out alone on the trail.(lets see, last week I thought I'd just hand walk her down the road (now gated to keep out 20 a day 4 wheelers/mudder trucks), as only the people who live her now use the road:Just to get her out of her comfort zone,and realise there is a world out there.She was alert ,but fine, loved eating along the ditches when I turn around to walk back to our drive, when here comes the neighbor boy on his dirt bike, I frantically waved, as I couldn't get off the road(high banks) there . fortunately he saw me and turned around a couple circles, then left. Honey was 'at attention" but didn't try to get away.So ok I learned she is ok with them 50-75 feet away(which is how far they are in the pasture).But I sure was muttering about my timing to do this .
Soooooo who has had layoffs, why horse and human, how long, and how did you get through it?
Here I had Rascal with 2.+years LSD ready to go, probably could have done a fifty, now that I know other peoples training procedures , and I having to start my green (8 yr old mare ,yes she is a lovely well bred pasture ornament). Of course then my daughter wants to breed her this fall to this warmblood stallion she gets free from her trainer.>sigh<
I think I will be fifty, before I get to do a fifty. Laurie/Rascal/HOney/Scout