From: <Marinera@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Tell your story (long)

It seems to me that we have not gotten very far with the discussion of
horse
deaths.  While I think that all possible data should be collected and
filed
for future reference, at the moment I consider there to be too many
variables to
reach very solid conclusions.

So maybe there is another approach.  Why not ask those who have gone
through
the sorrow of having a horse treated or die at a ride or post-ride what
their
thoughts are?
Patti Stedman led the way with her ridecamp post today.  So I think I will
pick up the ball from Patti and tell my stories.

I had a lovely mare I bought from Maryben Stover. Rushcreek Q-Ball carried
me
through the Tevis, did multi-day rides  and 50 milers.  She was an ideal
endurance horse because she ate and drank and was smooth and willing and
did
everything just right.   However she lay dead 12 hours after completing a
local 50
mile ride.

Q-Ball  munched all night long tied to the trailer. She gobbled everything
in
sight at the 1 hour lunch stop.  She went back out on the trail happy and
willingly. She finished the ride in 33rd position out of maybe 70 or 80
entries,
I cannot remember the exact number.  She passed the post ride vet check. I
returned her to the trailer and she did not want to eat.  I walked her
around to
let her graze and she would not eat.  Home was 1/2 an hour away. I took
her
home and turned her loose in the pasture with her buddies. She followed
them
about but would not eat.  Her pulse remained low. She never pawed the
ground,
kicked at her belly or showed any colic symptoms. She seemed peaceful, but
would
not eat.

I decided to do belly lifts. When I did she fell to the ground, got up,
fell
again, got up quickly. I was alarmed and called a vet who IV'd her.  Her
pulse
was still normal and she was defecating so he did not oil her.  When she
did
not seem to get better, (It is now about 10 o'clock at night) he said to
get
her to a vet hospital for possible surgery.  The hour and a half drive was
non-eventful, she defecated in the trailer, pulse was somewhat elevated to
about
60.  At the vet clinic they did a belly tap and found debris and declared
she
had ruptured and was doomed.  She still showed no real pain symptoms, but
she
may have had painkillers administered. I do not seem to recall that.  No
pawing, no anxiety--the vet thought she was perhaps a very stoic mare.
She was
euthanized at about 3 a.m., approximately 12 hours post ride.   A necropsy
showed
she had a ruptured stomach, not intestine. This is comparatively rare.

My non-professional  assessment is that I let her eat all night  before
the
ride, she gorged at lunch and then  I asked for continued physical
exertion on
an overloaded stomach. But it is also highly possible that there was a
pre-exisiting condition that I was not aware of, perhaps genetic as her
grandsire
died of the same thing.

A 2nd death.  A horse I owned, but ridden by another very experienced
rider,
went down in a squirrel hole, did a somersault landing hard on her back.
She
developed colic symptoms approximately 10 to 20 minutes after the fall
which
were not relieved by the ride vet's administrations. She was hauled one
hour to
a vet hospital.  Surgery revealed a twisted upper intestine (usually it is
lower intestine). She had not ruptured. She was euthanized about 18 hours
post
surgery.  I was told that upper intestine twists are far more difficult to
repair than lower.

I know personally of three horses that have dropped dead on the trail
during
trail rides. One rider went through our property and waved at me.
Forty-five
minutes later she walked up my driveway and said her horse was dead.  No
necropsy was done. We assume a heart attack. She had gone approximately 4
miles.

I sold a 6 month old colt to a friend who put him in a pasture with
another
colt. When he was two years old, they found him dead in the pasture; the
other
colt in good health standing nearby.  A necropsy revealed nothing other
than a
"possible ulcer" which was ruled out as a cause of death.

The deaths I have mentioned have no common denominator that I can
determine.

I think any long time rider can tell you similar horror stories.  I was
thrown into a panic at John Parke's ride recently when my mare, who
finished 51st
with all A's except a C on guts, did not eat post ride. All I could think
was
that I had another Q-Ball disaster as this mare also gobbled everything in
sight at the vet check. As with Q-Ball, she showed no colic symptoms. But
a vet
administered banamine shot and a dose of tranq and she was eating an hour
later.

I know first hand of two horses ridden to death as I was present at the
rides. We know why they died.

So in summary (I know this has been very long) I want it pointed out that
what has happened with my experiences, can happen to anyone...no
exclusions!  It
is a risk we assume when we own a horse.  He can die in the pasture, he ca
die on an easy trail ride, he can die during or after an endurance ride.
Fortunately it is rare, But when it does happen to others, I hope they
will throw it
out here for all of us to mull over and maybe at some point we will come
across a common denominator.  We are not on a witch hunt to place blame,
we are
searching for answers.  And there will be no single answer, but many due
different circumstances.  Just as with people, horses die for different
reasons.

I hope others contribute to this forum with their experiences.  It is a
morbid subject but perhaps necessary.  I thank Patti for telling her story
in
detail.
Julie Suhr