[RC] [Guest] Dark Urine - Ridecamp Moderator

cowboy rydmcowboyup@xxxxxxxxx
Hello, I am new to this group and have a question that may have been
around the block a time or two but that would have been pre me.

I rode my TWH yesterday in about 80 degree weather. He is six years
old, and I have just started to condition him for LDs. He has only
had about ten rides that I consider real conditioning rides on him.

I took elytes with me and stopped at every water hole, spring,
lake, creek and he drank very well. I let him graze on the soft
green grass along the riparian as well.

We took this slow only letting him gait out for short sprints of
less than half a mile.

We got lost with poorly marked trails and downed timber so we ended
up doing over 25 miles of various terrain. Hill climbing as well as
flats.

He started to balk at going on the way back. I was worried as I had
given elytes back at the lake, but that was over two hours ago and
only two short drinks on the way home.

I don't know this horse well, I have only had him a few months. He
is a nice and healthy horse with lots of muscle, but he has never
peed with me in the saddle.

I got off and started walking him and sure enough he finally peed.
His urine was not black or coffee colored, but it was definitely
darker than it should have been.

When we got to the trailer to come home, I gave him a half dose of
elytes, then once home I gave him a full dose of electrolytes.

I have a HRM that I ride him with and we stayed low for the most
part, under 100 and sometimes in the 70's, highest it ever got on a
climb was 144, and then brought him immediately back down to 100 or
under.

I tested his CRI and it was fast, tenting was normal, he was pooping
and eating and drinking, so why would the urine be darker than
normal, and what exactly does that mean and what should I be on the
look out for in the future? how can I teach this horse to pee while
on his back? Also, how many months should I condition this horse
before
I let him do a LD?

thank you.
cowboy