Re: [RC] Heidi's hat - Heidi Smith

>And people were making fun of ME at Kootenai Classic because I had the long-brim Cashel visor on MY helmet  (5-1/2" brim sticking out front) ;-D  Y'all definitely oughta see Heidi's straw-hat helmet brim, it's certainly unique!  Heidi, you should post a pic on your website or the PNER board files :-)

Here's a link to a picture of my snazzy helmet/hat....  <G>

I ought to relate the story of my transaction with the purist traditional cowboy hatter....  Remember I live in deep, dark, old-fashioned cowboy country.  I have a wide-brimmed straw hat that I got from the hattery, and I love it, but I don't want to give up my helmet for riding!  So I went in with helmet in hand, and said "I want one of THOSE on HERE!"  Poor hatter looked like he'd bitten a lemon, and said, "Y'know, that would REALLY be ugly...."  I said, "Well, not as ugly as if they cut off my nose because of skin cancer--and besides, I'm an endurance rider, and we don't really CARE what we look like, as long as we are comfortable!"  He was still pretty skeptical, but reluctantly agreed to try.  I came back in the following week, and he was out to lunch, but the booter who shares the shop was there.  He retrieved my helmet (complete with brim) where it was hidden away in the back, away from the prying eyes of other (more respectable!) customers.  I was delighted, and said, "Hey, these might even catch on with endurance riders!"  The hatter replied, "He certainly HOPES NOT!!"  Later I ran into the hatter at the hardware store.  He got that glazed deer-in-the-headlights look, and couldn't figure whether to bolt or stand his ground, but finally asked me, "How do you like it?"  I said, "Gee, it is EXACTLY what I wanted, and it is really the best of both worlds!"  He looked like he was getting the vapors, and rolled his eyes, and replied, "I can't imagine....."

I think the poor man will die of shame if his biggest claim to fame becomes Heidi's Helmet Brim!  <g>

Heidi