Re: [RC] Cool Tips for Riders - Adelia85

In a message dated 7/6/2003 12:57:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Cookies Cool Caps--WONDERFUL inventions that freeze prior to the ride
and insert into the top of your helmet.  There are 3 to a package (reusable)
so being cheap I only bought one package--so I don't use one on the first
loop while it is still cool out, but I use one on each loop thereafter and
change at the vet checks.

Okay, here are two great tips for keeping cool.  You may think I am totally crazy on this one but here goes.

1.)  On the Road -  Cookies' Cook caps are great.  They consist of a fabric envelope.  It has a waterproof fabric & Velcro on the upper surface and a meshlike fabric on the other. This is velcroed onto the upper surface of the helmet.  The three packets (3x3 inches app.) are made with the clear moisture absorbent crystals one can sometimes find in plant stores to help keep plants watered.  They are also used in ultra style diapers and sanitary napkins.  I can tell you from experience....three packets is not enough. A crazed & frugal friend of mine made up more packets by sewing little bandana covered envelopes covering sanitary napkins (cut to size).  We have tested these extensively.  They significantly reduce heat load and because you now have plenty of packets to rotate can swap at each vet check (or between show classes) for maximum effectiveness.  That is if you can get over the fact that you are now riding around with a frozen kotex on your head!

2.) Vet stops Revivals -   For even more cooling capability use Blue Ice soft packs (envelope size works best for me) at vet stops. Put at least one under the crown of your horse's halter  to cool her down.  My mare loves this.  Put one or two on your chest and back of neck.  Put one on top of your head.  They work best when thawed enough to be slightly soft and pliable.  I have used these for showing (my past horse endeavors) and reviving overheated soccer players during tournament endurance weekends. (my current motherly endeavor)

Okay, I have another one.  For those that like to sprayer idea, mix some Absorbine in the water and spray away.  The menthol in it cools very nicely.  Avoid eyes.  Alternate mixtures for those that do not like smelling like horse liniment, could be part alcohol or part witch hazel.

Adelia