Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] New 30 minute rule for 50s - Long - Nancy Mitts

Okay, then consider this food for thought:
At a ride I attended a few years ago, one rider was quite a bit behind all the others. (He was also in the habit of presenting at 60 minutes post ride.) When he finally crossed the finish line the vet asked someone working in the vet check to go tell that rider he had to present in 30 min. Another ride management helper reminded the vet that the rule was 60 min at the finish. The vet said "Well it's 30 at FEI rides and AERC will eventually adopt that too." The ride management helper & later ride manager stood their ground and said it hadn't been changed yet & the rider had 60 minutes. The vet replied he had to leave by X o'clock and if the rider waited 60 minutes he would be late. It had nothing whatever to do with a change in the weather, or horse safety. It was a case of a person who overbooked their time for that day. If I remember correctly there is even an AERC rule that states there must be a vet at the ride site until 1 hour after the last horse has crossed the finish line. I've seen that one overlooked several times.
Almost every rule that exists is there because someone has stretched or abused common sensibilities. We'd all like to think that actions wouldn't be taken against one rider that didn't apply to anyone else, but it has and will. Whether it's "personal" or just for the sake of convenience it shouldn't be excused.
The playing field will never be level for everybody, but the field shouldn't be changed after the players are gathered at the field, either. We ride where we agree with the way the rides are run. If we don't like it, we don't go. Just like to know before I get there.
Pulse criteria has a stated maximum of 68 beats allowable, which kinda tells the rider the minimum may well be below that. Riders grumble if it's set at 56, but there never was a minimum standard published. The finish rule states that the horse HAS 60 min. and it's another section of the rules that says there may be more stingent criteria. That's a different story altogether to my understanding, just like special Jr rules and stallion rules, etc. If the veterinary committee feels so stongly that 30 min is safer, then change the rule. (I wouldn't argue against that a bit.) Even change the rule to state the finishing exam must be within 30-60 minutes. This would let riders know they would always have at least 30 & might have up to 60 and would relieve ride managers & vets of the burden of making the decision and special notification prior to the ride.

Nancy Mitts
PS The rider is question wasn't me or Monte! I don't remember what time they presented, but the horse did complete!

We just had a big discussion about horse welfare.  The rules I've cited in
this discussion are in place with the welfare of the horse in mind.  I find
it somewhat disturbing that we can declare ourselves in favor of more
protection for the horses on one side of the coin, but can't bear the
thought that a ride vet might utilize some of the tools already in place in
our rules to do just that on the flip side.  Certainly food for thought....

Heidi