RE: [RC] small horses and endurance - Flora Hillman

Liz -

My 13 yr old Welsh/Arab is AHSA carded at 14.1 hands, weighs 680 lbs (on the FEI scale at the May 2002 Biltmore 50/100 ride) and wears double aught (00) shoes front and rear. His rider (me) is a FW at 5'2" and weighs 130 lbs, but our tack (including carrying a farrier kit and lots of water) tends to nudge us into the LW category every now and then at about 164.

My guy was also a "dainty" boned pony when he came to me -- he was a very successful champion show pony (carriage driving) since age 2 and had not been ridden until I purchased him at age 9.  I  began conditioning him under saddle using Long-Slow-Distance training plus hill work.  As his new career for endurance brought him into condition to compete in this more strenuous sport, I couldn't help but notice (especially as the years advanced) that his leg bone structure seemed to thicken and become more solid and stronger, and less "china-like."

He did 2 LD's as our entry into distance riding, and then moved into the 50's. He's completed 50's and 2-day 100's successfully, and (if the rains will ever stop here in the NE!) is ready to move into the 75's and 1 day 100's this year, and (hopefully) a multi-day (like the Michigan Shore to Shore -- if I can arrange my schedule). He's has never had a lameness issue during training, and only once in competition  when he torqued off a front shoe 9 miles into a 50 mile ride and hurt something obscure in his leg -- an injury that miraculously healed on the 6 hour ride home so that when he stepped off the trailer he could happily gallop, sound as a dollar  and tail in the air, out to see the rest of the home herd the minute we turned him out in the pasture.

I've seen more light-weight Arab ponies do wonderfully in endurance -- staying sound and happy --when they are started correctly.  Just ask Stagg Newman -- he's a strong advocate on the "little guys" making the best endurance horses, and his ponies have proved that again and again.

And re: your dressage friend --- ignore her.  Her reaction is not unusual. My dressage friends turn pale at the thought of going for a 8 mile pleasure hack, let alone even think of riding 25.  Perish the thought of 50 miles -- they can't fathom it. To them all endurance riders are completely insane. Period.  Even my eventing friends have a hard time coming to grips with endurance distances, and I know several that compete at the international level, yet will insist they have to trailer over to condition on a hill that is only  a easy, flat 3 mile hack away via gravel roads. <shaking head in wonder>

So, if her legs are sound and she has no hidden issues, I would say Winter should do quite well in the 50's and on multi-day rides if you ... take your time to make sure ALL your tack fits her properly and comfortably, train slowly but consistently, increase your distances gently, use hills to build the wind and muscle, and watch the footing underneath her feet carefully.

Best of luck to you and Winter. :-)

PS. It's a shame the AERC doesn't keep track of equine heights and weights in relation to rider weights.  Would be interesting to see what the statistics would show in regards to placings, pulls, etc....

Flora Hillman
AERC #30079