Re: [RC] Electrolytes - Heidi Smith

My husband and I are new to the sport of endurance and
will be riding our first ride in September.  I've seen
a lot on electrolytes and giving them before / during
/ after a ride.  Which brand do you recommend and what
type of delivery, eg: oral syringe or top dressing on feed?

Before you even think about what kind, when, and how much, you need to take
a few other things into account.  Where will you be riding, and is it apt to
be hot and humid?  How well do your horses eat and drink when away from
home?  What distance will you be doing?  I'm kind of old-fashioned, but
since I try to start with horses that have a good sense of self-preservation
and will eat and drink fairly well, I don't like to use electrolytes on a
new horse at all until I see how well he will learn to take care of himself.
I want the water drinking to become a firm and fast habit--not just a
response to "the electrolytes kicking in."  Of course, starting out you
don't ride a horse right to the edge of his capability, either--you take it
slow.  I just started a new horse, and he didn't eat or drink well for the
first half of his first 50.  By the second half, he was guzzling out of
every puddle.  He just did his second 50 last weekend--and by golly, he ate
better in the trailer on the way, he ate better the night before, he ate at
every vet check, and he didn't let a single water opportunity go by (not
even the first one in the morning) without taking a MAJOR drink.  He is
still on his learning curve, and until he gets this figured out, I'd just as
soon he do things as naturally as possible.  Once I find out where the
"holes" are in how well he cares for himself, then and only then will I add
lytes--if I need them.  The one horse that I've ridden that has participated
in various blood testing trials at rides was one of the more "normal" ones
when the results came back--and never got lytes in his entire career (nearly
3000 miles, which included one 1000+-mile season).  I personally think we
rush much too fast to shove the lytes in there, without any thought as to
what they do to appetite, how much stomach irritation they may cause (I
think we're finally starting to think about THAT one, thanks to the ulcer
studies), etc.--instead of working to make the horse a better eater or
drinker.  Meanwhile, I much prefer to offer a loose lyte mix or salt mix of
some sort that he can have free-choice should he so choose--and I'm
intrigued when I do this that times I would THINK he'd need lytes, he
couldn't care less about  the salt, and times I'd think he wouldn't are the
times he'll go for it.

Just a different perspective....

Heidi