From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dr. Liz Faletti, DC
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 6:56 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Small horses and endurance riding

Hi,

I'd like to hear what other riders have experienced in regard to small horses and average riders.

I have a 14 hands Arab mare, 7 years old, very dainty, double aught shoes.  She was raced on the flat one season and even her original trainers thought she would do better with endurance riding.  Her attitude is great and although my other mare kicked her last August and chipped her shoulder, Winter (the tiny Arab) seems to be going well.

I am 5'5'' about 140 pounds, about 185 with tack.  My husband is about 185 without tack.  I have a friend who rides dressage who is adamant that Winter won't carry either of us for the longer distances.  Even my endurance riding friend thinks Winter wouldn't carry my husband.

Are we just dreaming or can this mare do 50-100 miles with either of us?  I have ridden five 25 mile rides over a 12 year period.  My other horse is a 20 year old 1/2 Arab/pinto, 14.3 hands.  She feels like riding a tank after riding Winter. Last year we did the Cascade Challenge two day 25 miles each day.  Meriqa was doing better each day. I put all this in, because I haven't ridden longer distances yet, and I don't want to ask this beautiful, good horse to do something that is going to hurt her.  I know she would make a wonderful child's endurance horse, so long as the child wasn't a rank beginner. My goals are to ride multi day rides and to ride a single horse 3000 to 10000 miles as I've heard of other people doing.

Sincerely,

Liz Faletti