[RC] Multi Days - Annie George

**A. A Multi day horse needs to be a pretty good horse. Maybe just a different horse.   **B. I don't think Multi day vets are any different than one day vets.  **C. No.  **D.Some riders switch horses, allot don't, I personally don't want to have to care for an extra horse so I just take one. Somebody else may have 2 or 3 they want to get out there.  A youngster can learn allot on a multi day even if he never leaves the pen. I do not think they necessarily pace like a one day. If your  fresh horse wins on day 3, you don't have much to crow about the others horses have already beat you because they have done 150 and you only did 50. I have seen riders come the last day of a 5 day and win by hours. Not a win in my view.   **E. I think people mostly do what they do regardless of the days. A person may add something for a particularly rocky one day, or for Tevis, and remove for sand. I kind of feel it is more the footing of that particular trail, than the days. I never add any thing.     ** F. Multi Day riders do tend to have more experience. I find that newbie riders are overwhelmed with the idea of doing 5 days. We all thought 50 was a big deal when we started out. We all gradually moved up to larger challenges.   **G. Depends. A multi day is a great way to settle down a horse. When he learns it is not over just cuz its dark and you pulled the saddle off, he will get a mind pretty quick.   **H. No. Sometimes you don't know that a piece of tack doesn't work till you do more than one day.   If more multi day riders have conquered  tack issues more it is only because they have gone farther in one days before tackling multi days. And because they do tend to be more experienced.  JMHO Annie
Anne George Saddlery  www.vtc.net/~ageorge