Re: [RC] Statistics on Pulls for one day rides vs multidays andregional differences - Truman Prevatt

What we believe based on what we observe is usually based on our limited observations. When one considers the statistical significance something it is really how unlikely it is to happen at random. If the underlying population has a lot of variability, then seeing something at random is a lot more likely and separating a tread from the random fluctuations is more difficult.

What the data showed is that it is not possible to separate a trend - more metabolic pulls in a signal day vs pioneer or more metabolic pulls in a pioneer vs a single because the random fluctutions were too great.

How one came to believe something that can't be addressed with mathematics so I won't addres it:-).

Truman

Alison Farrin wrote:

Or multiday horses go slower. There's always going to be someone running for the top spot. But, overall, I think everyone slows down a bit with the intention of riding one horse multiple days. If you walk slowly through the really rocky or boggy spots, you reduce your chances of a pull or strain. The top 10% won't, but if the bottom 90% are 2 or 3 times as careful, the pull rate should be considerably lower. Basically, the same hypothesis we've been using for lower metabolic problems on multidays, but this time, the data seems to support it.

Truman, on the metabolic pull ratio multiday to single day rides - is there any multiday ride that stands out with an abnormally high pull ratio? I know our statistics aren't supporting it, but I wonder how we all came to believe it, other than what we've observed.

Alison A. Farrin
Innovative Pension
Innovative Retirement Services
858-748-6500 x 107