[RC] Pine Tree LD - William Rice

A big thank you to Tom, Kathy and the cast of 1000s at this weekend's Pine
Tree.  What a fun and well organized ride.  The trails were just right,
challenging yet fair and so well marked that it was hard to go wrong.  It was
our first LD and a great learning experience and while we did not speed over
the course we did do quite well time wise and were happy with our results.  It
was great fun to watch the 100 and 50 milers speeding along and to observe
their crews.  We learned so much about how to cool down a horse quickly, what
to pack and not pack and how to manage the horse during a ride.  We also had
the pleasure of riding with many nice others along the way.  Janis it was great
fun to do the first loop with you, hope to repeat that in the future.  And
Cicily and Rene it was nice to ride and play tag with you guys all day.  Our
horses looked forward to catching up with yours and then passing and being
passed.
The hold was fun too, even if we did not quite understand exactly what we were
supposed to do.  Of course my little fat cow pony knew to eat his food, his
neighbors food, my wife's food and then all the grass in sight!  Pulse, no
problem, but you want me trot and without a rider just cause some guy who just
goosed me, said to? I think not!  Oh well, at least he had great gut sounds and
was well hydrated!  Somehow the horses knew they were on stage and had to
perform and they did.  The second 15 miles seemed to pass too quickly and all
too soon the finish line appeared.  I guess the only way to keep having that
much fun is to go longer, so we are waiting until the next opportunity to
expand our horizons.
Again our thanks to Tom and the whole crew at the Pine Tree.  Maine is a great
place to ride and we love it here.  To all you from Virginia and other points
south, many, many thanks for taking the humidity home with you where it belongs!
Bill, Steph, Mickey B and Chocolate Soldier--one step closer