From: "Jonni Jewell" <jonnij@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 9:17 AM
Subject: [RC] kicking problem..possible solution

OK, I have solved an issue with a horse that would charge down another
pasture mate and try to bite him. This was more than the "get out of here,
don't like you, I'm going to chase you off now". This was ears pinned SO
deep in the mane, full speed charge, mouth open, very nasty I want to make
you wish you never got within miles of me. The intent was to really do
harm
to the other horse. (basic pasture pecking order maneuvers I can
handle..trying to do REAL harm, I don't)

So, I got out my training collar I had for my dog. Yes, it is a shock
collar. It has a remote control, that you push the button, and it sends
the
"zap". Mine has a range of 2 miles. I placed it on the horse by attaching
his halter, though now I have a collar that is long enough, I could have
put
it around the neck, just like a dog collar. I stood back, out of the way,
watching the horses. I had put them in a small pasture, where I could
monitor them easily, and where I knew the horse would for sure take off
after the other to bite. Sure enough, he spun and charged, and as I saw
his
mouth open to bite, I sent the signal, and he got zapped. (less than an
electric fence zap, but enough to REALLY get his attention) He stopped in
his tracks. I waited around, and he went for the horse again, and again,
he
got zapped just as his mouth was getting ready to bite. For this horse,
that
was it. Has not done it again. He has done some snarly faces, pinned ears,
but has never really charged down the other horse.

The problem with using a training collar is you need to be there each time
to send the signal, each time the animal does the unwanted behavior, until
the behavior stops. Also, I did not want the zap related to me. I want
them
to come to the conclusion that when they start to bite, or kick, they get
this zap, and to not do that. Have an e-mail friend who was at wits end
with
her mule, who was bent on killing dogs. She used the training collar on
the
mule, when he went for a dog, got zapped, and I think she said it too only
couple times, and now he is good with the dogs in his pen.

Use this information for what it is worth to you. It may or may not work
for
the kicking horse. You would have to put the collar on the horse, then
turn
it in with the horse it dislikes so much, and wait around to see if it
goes
to kick it. I personally would zap it when it turned its rear to the
other,
before it fired off the first kick. When the thought process is being
formed. I would have never considered using these on horses, until I got
one
for the dog, and saw its benefits. (she is a large dog, that plays rough
with the small dog, by grabbing at the neck....not anymore!)

There is also a point if the possible injury and vet bills, or worst yet,
broken leg is worth having a horse that kicks so bad around the other
horses. Sometimes a tough decision is needed to be made. Good luck with
the
kicker.

Jonni