[RC] Pine Tree 50: Impressions from a Rookie Rider with a Rookie Horse (Part I B) - Sharon Kenney

The second 15 miles went a bit slower, and it wasn't just because Zephyr had slowed down.  The time took longer to pass.  I was getting hungry, since I hadn't had any time to eat at the hold, so I ate a granola bar out of my saddle pack.  At some point, we reached a crew area and there was only one crew person left.  Yes, that's right, Irving's crew person, Terry, was the last one there.  (For those of you who don't know Irving - he usually finishes last.)  She let our horses have some water, and we were about to ride off when Margaret looked back and spotted Irving coming over the hill towards us.  We agreed to continue on, but at a walk so Irving could catch up.  When he did, we proceeded to walk/trot to the next hold.  When we trotted, we picked a medium pace because Irving's horse doesn't trot as big as either Zephyr or Promise.  Irving, as some of you are lucky enough to know, is an absolute riot.  Between him and Margaret, on the sections that we walked, I heard enough Endurance history to confuse me for months.  (I'm new enough that I've never heard of 80% of the people or rides they mentioned.  There was a lot of smiling and nodding on my part!)

We walked into the second hold, at the same location as the first, to find only a few other horses.  One was just leaving, one had been pulled, and one was being treated.  I unsaddled him a bit more gracefully this time (as in, the saddle landed where I put it, not where he dumped it), sponged him once, and went for P&Rs.  He was at 48 again.  CRIs were 52/48.  A's on everything again, too.  Margaret and I moved our stuff into some shade and I was thrilled to be able to tie Zephyr to a tree while I sponged him, used the Porta-Potty, and then ate the sandwich I'd somehow thought to put in my hold cooler with my 4 extra water bottles.  Since I still had 4 full bottles, I stuck the last 2 into the middle pouch on my saddle pack.  The first two loops had been drier than I'd expected, and I planned to use the extra two bottles to wet him down now and then.

We got back on the trail about 6 minutes late, again.  I don't know how that happened, honestly, because the tree had made it easier to handle everything.  Irving had waited an extra 12 minutes for us - his out time was 3 minutes before Margaret's, and 6 minutes before mine... and we left 6 minutes after my out time.  He gave me a lecture at some point during that third loop, about how if my horse was pulsing down as we went through the "in" gate (he was) I should go straight to P&R before removing the saddle.

I had a "holy shit" moment when he told me that.

I said, you mean I can pulse in with the saddle on, and remove it between P&Rs and vet?  He said sure.  Wow.  That would have been nice to know!  Lessons learned... and learned well!!!!

The third loop repeated a portion of the second loop, and HAD to have been more than 15 miles.  You know when you're in your car, and you drive the same route twice, and it seems faster the second time?  Well, it doesn't work that way on horseback.  At least not when you're doing your first 50.  Part of the reason, though, was that Zephyr was not going along in the normal pulse range.  It was higher than it should have been, even accounting for the heat, so we were walking a lot.  And honestly, the other two horses didn't want to trot any more than Zephyr did.  Margaret wanted to keep Promise's gut moving (he hadn't been eating at the holds) so we stopped and grazed a lot.  Irving started complaining that we had to pick up the pace because he wanted to be at the last hold by 3:30pm.  We picked up that nice easy trot again.  At some point, we came upon 3 people walking their horses.  Two of them were 30-milers who were overtime and who were taking a grass break.  The other was Pam, a 50-miler who was just getting back on her Kentucky Mountain Horse.  She had been leaving the second hold as we arrived.  We ended up riding with Pam for the last 5 miles of this loop; unfortunately for Irving, Pam's horse had 3 speeds... walk, fast, and hell-bent-for-leather.  Irving ended up cantering a lot... at least I assume he did... I don't know for certain because Zephyr was happily shoving his nose up Pam's gelding's butt.  Oh well, at least he wasn't poking along anymore!  All four horses had found new energy that no one knew they had.

To be continued...