RE: [RC] Coming back from a fall - Mary Orosz

I know exactly how you feel.  After being away from horses for about 25
years, I was finally able to get a horse again 3 years ago.  Talk about
green on green!  My horse was a 12year old green pasture ornament with
60 days arena training on him and here I was taking him out on trails
where an elk would jump out in front of us.  I was riding by myself all
the time - no one to ride with - a true disaster waiting to happen.  I
fell - or bailed off 3 times the first year.  He would either bolt or do
the startle - pivot thing = and off I would go to test the dirt.  I was
riding a cut back saddle since that was what I was told was the only
saddle I could use with my Tennessee Walker.  The third time that I
bailed and I ended up finding out a month later that I had gotten a
concussion a month later.  I was getting dizzy every time I would roll
over in bed - this lasted a year.  I decided I was afraid of falling and
had better sell my horse. I didn't really want to sell him since this
had been my dream for 25 years but riding in the hills of Idaho is not
like riding in the MetroPark system of Cleveland. So up for sale he
went.  Of course it was the wrong time of the year and I was asking too
much for him so no one bought him - thank goodness.

I decide to improve myself.  Jack was a real game player - along with
being naturally a spooky horse = he loved to pretend to spook and bolt
home.  First thing I did for my safety was to get a new saddle.  I had
always hated western because I felt I couldn't feel the horse so I
compromised and got ride of the cutback and got an Ansur treeless.  This
helped a little, along with doing Parelli exercises with him and taking
Centered Riding Lessons. My balance has greatly improved in the last 2
years and Jack trusts me a lot more now (although he still likes to play
games.  He doesn't spook as often and never gets away with bolting
anymore(Parelli stopped the bolting and Centered Riding helped my
balance).  I have a lot more confidence, but those darn pivot type
spooks are quick and really hard to feel coming and especially hard to
stay on using a dressage saddle, even now.  It probably doesn't help
that he is extremely round - and an extra wide treed saddle is too
narrow for him.  I recently tried (and have since bought) a Bob Marshall
Endurance saddle for trail riding and am using my English stirrups with
it.  What a difference!!!!!  If he does a pivot spook I have no problem
sticking to the saddle.  I honestly feel it probably has saved my life.
I still use my Ansur for arena/dressage work.

So as far as getting confidence back, all these three things have really
helped me.

Good luck,

- Mary