[RC] Endurance horses with 'off'gaits ? - Laurie Durgin

Rascals mom here. He is off the epm meds now. Improved alot, biting Honeys butt again if she goes into his stall at dinner time.Glaring at the pony.using me for a rubbing post, yep 'almost ' normal.
Vet came out to do 3 tests via spinal tap. As luck would have it , we couldn't get a good tap. Will try again next week (no he didn't charge me).Freezing area too, he said he is fat and an arab, hardier to get a tap.
He did some observation tests. Seems ok, BUT he is off some in his right rear. A slight 'drag' or hitch in his step. I have info on rehab and it's importance, and have started lunging him a few minutes, plus he has full turnout with hills.I am started ing to use ground poles too. Only nicked it occasionally. Haven't started riding yet, (weather and his back after 'spinal attempt")
This slight 'offness' may be the 'permanent'(semi?) damage. Now I 've read they can improve for a year or more, and other nerves can regenerate or take over for the damaged ones.And with proper rehab improve. I asked if this was a "true lameness", vet said no. But I said it could maybe cause a lamness if he compensated with other leg or hip ,etc? He said it's possible.
SO THE QUESTION IS: If worst scanario and he always has this slight 'drag', hitch, how would this kind of movement/or would this kind of movement make a difference in a distance horse? Would it necessarily limit or cut out an attempt at distance riding? Are there horses with gait abnormalities competeing? And how would vets handle this kind of presentation?Obviously you'd have to tell them,would you need a vet letter. Or is this a 'only time will tell? I hate to get my hopes up or dashed, but am trying to be realistic about his future.Course there are still possiblities of relapse, etc. And there are posssiblilities of continued improvement, the judgement for that is 3-12 months or more. Laurie and Rascal/Honey and Scout.