[RC] Hopkins Creek part one - Maggie Mieske

"The Agony of De Feet (or actually De Hock)"

Hopkins Creek Ride, June 2003

Hopkins Creek has never been a good ride for me. In 1998, Jonathan and I took a somersault tumble that left me digging sand out of my bellybutton, ears and other nether regions for days afterward. The next season I had a helmet!!! In 2000, Malik and I did another tumble in the sand (didn't realize his saddle had started to pinch him as he muscled up), two days in a row, the second day resulting in a tendon injury for him (which thankfully healed quickly and soundly after several weeks off). In 2001, we did finish our first 50 there though he wasn't eating well (which scared the crap out of me) and then later discovered he had been eating green apples which had fallen on the ground into his pasture at home! When that gas passed, WE almost passed out! Last year was better but enthusiasm early in the ride got the better of us and that last ten miles was torture in the sand and heat and bugs as we walked most of it!!! But we finished again! I swore I would only do 25 miles on this trail because THAT is fun. But noooooo....I had to give 50 a try again!! (Pam-consider me pre-entered next year for the 25 LD and DENY me vehemently entry into the 50!).

Anyway, we showed up early Friday (HC isn't too far for us), just Malik and I, no Max and no Jenny. He moped all day. I swear to God he would go over and hide his face behind a tree. It was quite odd with just the two of us though not the first time we have been to a ride without them. But I understood how he felt! Nelson had to work so even HE wasn't there. He perked up when Jinnifer Plummer's mom, Julie and friend, Kellie showed up and then Jinnifer and Robert themselves a short time later. But you know it's not the same!!! He couldn't decide WHAT would make him happy...plain grain and beet pulp DRY or WET, dry hay or wet hay....I put them all out for him and he picked at whatever when he felt like it. Frequently though, he would come to the fence nearest to me, hang his head over and ask for carrots and apples and treats. And I am a sucker...might as well write it on my forehead. I don't know why I worried about him...he DID get plenty to eat!

We managed to get ourselves all ready and tacked up on Saturday morning for the 6 a.m. start. It was COLD (37 degrees at 5 a.m.! And then 85 degrees by midafternoon! And you wonder why I want to move???) Anyway, Nelson was late, thinking we weren't starting until later. We met him on the road going out. As it turned out, I sort of caught up to Julie (Jinnifer's mom, can't remember her last name!) and our horses paced so well that we just kept going on together. The front runners were really hoofing it and neither of us felt the need for speed that day. :) It was a beautiful day for the ride in spite of the dust and it was not yet hot. The creeks were refreshing (sure wished I could jump right in!) with honeysuckle covering the edges. Wildflowers and butterflies were abundant! Simply a beautiful day to be alive and riding a horse!!!

Miles of smiles,
Maggie