Re: [RC] horse wont keep weight on while working? - Heidi Smith

>allegra,  you said he is in good shape for a horse his age?  and mentioned senior feed?  how old is he? have you had his teeth checked?
>if his teeth are in bad shape, it wont matter what you feed him, he will not keep his weight up.

Actually, I have one older "gent" out here who is missing several teeth and what he has left are pretty dodgy.  (He quids hay so badly that I sincerely doubt he gets ANY down--but I still give him about half a flake twice a day, most of which he mungs into the dirt, and the rest of which I find quidded all over the place, but he feels left out if he doesn't get SOMETHING flung over his fence when the others get their hay.)  He WAS down skinny as a rail before I realized that it was his teeth--mea culpa--they had been done not all THAT long before, and he hadn't yet lost any at that point.  I put him on a soaked mix of 1/3 beet pulp, 1/3 alfalfa pellets and 1/3 Equine Senior and he is actually so portly now that I've had to cut back the amount he gets considerably.... <sigh>

Heidi