Re: [RC] Horse won't keep weight on while working.. - Truman Prevatt

There is an adjustment to the rigors of training. It happens in people also. My mare was eating every thing in sight the first couple years of work and after about three or four years she got to the point she was actually eating very little grain - hay grass, a little grain and a little oil was all she needed.

Truman

Maggie Mieske wrote:
FAT!  And time will help also....I believe that it takes a horse's metabolism some time to adjust to the rigors of endurance...my original distance gelding did the same thing his first year and I agonized over it.  The next year he did much better but I had also discovered feeding beet pulp and vegetable oil.  My stallion, Malik, gets 2-3 cups a day to help him maintain weight.
Miles of smiles,
Maggie