RE: [RC] Fw: [AERC-Members] Horse Identification - Teri Hunter

Since some of us just received the May issue and will not be getting the June issue until Mid July, could someone fill us poor folks in on what the article is about.

Teri
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 11:13 PM
To: Bob Morris
Cc: Dot Wiggins; ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Fw: [AERC-Members] Horse Identification

My wife's horse has a tattoo from his days on the track. Now it is pretty much unreadable (he's about 8 or 9). I suspect by the time he is 12 it would be worthless.

I did read one time that the FDA had not approved chips for use in horses yet. I see the logistics a real issue with the chips.

Truman

Bob Morris wrote:
Why a chip? Every horse at every ride gets an inspection of the mouth for capillary refill at least once. A lip tattoo as used by the Jockey Club on TB's would be easy to check while vetting in and taking the refill. And it is well proven usage in thousands of race horses and for many years. Why re-invent the wheel?

I smell a sales pitch.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises