[RC] re: Ground Control Shoes - Wendy Mancini

    Love these shoes.  Over 600 mi last year for my old QH, Jim.
    Anyhow, my farrier marks them for size & uses grinder to shape before setting them.  We use six nails, in the preset holes.  What we did find was that the nails had to be tapped into the groove, so the only way to pull the nails is with a crease nail puller.  They provide a lot of flexibility, frog support & protection.  Love the traction on roads, mud and even dirt roads.  They are plenty good for 200 + miles.  The new, clear ones are a little stiffer, I think, than the black ones.  My farrier likes the clear because it makes it a little easier for a good nail set.
    Lost one for the first time this year at Passage Creek in the deep mud.
    My only problem has been when my boy lays down.  Getting up, he digs his front heels into the ground & has picked up stones under the heel.  Easy enough to get out.  I just flex the shoe & use a flat hoof pick to slide out the stone.  It's just something to check on a regular basis.
    Also, his hoof size went from 0 in front to 1 and 00 hind to 0 hind.  The company will exchange if you need another size & they ship fast.  I just buy them by the box, you can get mixed sizes in the box, saves a couple dollars.