Re: [RC] Horse Fatalities, Part Two - Oldwaggy

In a message dated 6/14/03 3:16:24 PM, Magnumsmom writes:

<< John, I know atleast one of the incidents listed in my email
WAS witnessed and reported to the AERC just after the
incident happened, yet nothing was ever done about it.

*** That's why it came up on Ridecamp years later. ***

In the June issue there is a sanction against a rider for bouncing
checks.  Why no sanction for a *reported* incident of horse abuse...
especially one resulting in the horse's death?  Are we to expect the
same non-response to reported horse abuse in the future?

Kathy,

First of all, the AERC doesn't respond to single incidents except to handle
them as protests if they are properly filed.  The Protest & Grievance handles
each protest on its merits on the facts placed before by the parties to the
protest.  The P&G Committee doesn't make policy; that's the Board's job.  The
kinds of actions people have been talking about from the AERC Board on horse
fatalities are more general things like better reporting, tightened up rules,
and
improved education and research.

Second, you are just plain wrong on your facts.  You referred to two horse
death incidents at rides.  The horse death at the NASTR ride was filed, then
withdrawn, then refiled and then withdrawn.  At least the lady who filed it
originally had the courage to do something when nobody else did.  The protest
of
David Jenkins for abuse of his horse Dancer at the Oakland Hills ride was
GRANTED by the Protest and Grievance Committee and the decision was published
in
Endurance News.  You may not like the way the decision was reasoned or how the
punishment was meted out by the unanimous decision of the five members of the
P&G Committee based on the evidence before them.  I don't re-argue P&G
Committee
decisions in public after the Committee has made them.  The decisions speak
for themselves; they are not popularity contests. You certainly cannot honestly
say that Dancer's death was reported to the AERC and no one did anything
about it.

Actually, I remember the Jenkins decision very well, not only because I wrote
it but because of the reaction of some people to it.  Several people sent in
statements about how bad a guy David Jenkins was at other rides over the years
without saying anything relevant about the particular ride and incident which
was the subject of the protest.  In the decision, I pointed out that if any
of those people had done something about the abuse they observed at other rides
over the years maybe Dancer would still be alive today.  I got more hate mail
after that decision than after any other except for one.

Your reference to the Jenkins decision proves my point: people should have
the guts to protest abuse when they see it in the here and now with specific
factual testimony and not whine about it with hearsay generalities on ridecamp
years later if they actually want to save horses.

John Parke
Solvang CA