Re: [RC] Horse Fatalities, Part Two - Heidi Smith

John, thank you for a thoughtful and common-sense post on the subject.  Instead of castigating the people who have worked so hard to get us to where we are now from where we were "then", we need to thank them profusely for volunteering their time to make the lives of our horses better, and help the next round of volunteers to build on what past ones have done so that they can go even further.

Personally, I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to the folks on the veterinary committees past who have worked hard--sometimes ideas take years to take root.  (I know I had some ideas when I chaired the committee nearly 2 decades ago that have only recently been implemented, by other hands, under other leadership--but hey, who cares, as long as things move forward.)  These people have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into improving our sport and our knowledge base so that we can take better care of our horses.  And best of luck to Jim Baldwin in moving forward as well--if we are REALLY interested in helping out our horses, let's quit carping and get behind these people who are willing to work at this, despite having to dodge verbal harpoons thrown on public forums by vocal detractors.

Heidi