[RC] Favorite English Style Endurance Saddle - betndez

Robin--

I've ridden nothing but English or dressage for many thousands of miles
endurance, NATRC and even some RAT years ago as well as pleasure trail
riding, so:  here are some of my observations on English saddles.

The close contact saddles don't usually give enough padding/stuffing for
long hours in the saddle.  Look at some of your horse catalogs:  Stateline,
Dover, etc. and compare the profiles of all purpose, dressage and close
contact so you can see what I mean.  I'm meaning the padding over the tree
which rests on the horse's back. . . not where you sit.  Getting a
comfortable seat for yourself is easier.  You can add a sheepskin or other
type seat cover for extra padding and security.

Some all purpose (AP) saddles have a straighter flap and stirrups are hung
far enough back that your feet are kept under you in the proper position,
but many AP saddles actually are more forward as a jumping saddle, which
throws your body forward into a typical 2 point jumping position making it
difficult and painful on your lower back to post and ride hour after hour.

Dressage saddles have a straighter, longer flap which keeps your leg under
you in the proper position not only for dressage but for trail riding,
allowing you to keep an upright position and your heel back under your hip
(remember: you line up your shoulder, hip and heel).  Dressage saddles do
not have the D rings you need for trail riding.

Your local saddle maker/repairman can add D rings just about anywhere you
want them on most saddles altho I understand this isn't possible on Wintec.
. . maybe the newer ones.

Most endurance riders seem to prefer a saddle with long billets and a short
girth which English trail saddles and dressage saddles use (as well as
endurance saddles built on a Western tree).

All the above said, the most important thing is whether or not the saddle
really fits your horse's back without bridging or pinching or being too wide
and sliding forward.  Fitting the horse isn't always an easy thing to do and
he MUST be comfortable.  Think about how you would feel wearing ill fitting
shoes and carrying a heavy back pack for hours, whether the shoes were too
tight and pinched, or were too large and rubbed or let your foot slop around
too much.

Good luck and happy trails,
Betty Edgar

From: "Robin" <robint@xxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I'm trying to do my research and find my perfect saddle for my horse
and myself.  >> my saddle is
an all purpose and I'm wondering what the difference is between this and a
close contact saddle?