Re: [RC] horse fatalities, 2002 - Heidi Smith

  Good post, Howeard.  I do find it interesting to note, though,
that deaths due to metabolic failure are those you suggest are
preventable, whereas death due to broken legs/necks from falling
off the trail are an accepted hazard.  Are some trails just too
risky for endurance races?  What exactly causes these accidents
- are horses stumbling?  Spooking?  Being run off the trail?  Is
rider error at fault (failure to keep safe distance between
horses, failure to watch where they are going)?  Should
ride-managers be more careful in planning routes?  I ride some
pretty hairy trails, and am no coward when it comes to technical
riding, but I have never 'fallen off' a trail or seen anyone
else do so... it seems to me to be a pretty avoidable hazard -
or is it?

Not necessarily.  Unless you simply have trails with no drops in elevation
off of them at all.  Consider--bee stings, chukkars flying up under your
horse, etc., any of which could cause a horse to panic and lose his footing
on an otherwise "safe" trail.  My husband and his horse fell off of a trail
a few years ago (fortunately no injury to horse and only minor scraped skin
to husband) when some silly man in a flapping red poncho came bumping down
the hillside above them on his butt, and refused to answer back when my
husband tried to strike up conversation so that horse could identify this
alien as a human being.  (And we are talking a fairly experienced and
EXTREMELY agile trail horse here...)  So while it behooves management to
have trails with reasonable safety, even those can become accident areas
given enough provocation from unexpected factors.

Heidi