Re: [RC] Trail access news - Jeannie Gillen

There are many examples and precedents of TEA money being used across the United States, that include "equestrians"...... I know of a few in California that don't.....and should......

Keep up the good work,  Jeannie Gillen
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 8:17 AM
Subject: [RC] Trail access news

> We heard from many members across the United
> States that horses were not being allowed because
> they were not specifically mentioned in the law,
> said Jay Hickey, president of the American Horse
> Council. We spoke to representatives of the Federal
> Highway Administration and discovered that this is
> not what they intended when they wrote the original
> legislation. They then agreed to try to resolve this
> problem.
>
> The Bush Administration has just released its
> proposal for the reauthorization of TEA-21, a
> federal law which authorizes the federal surface
> transportation programs for highways, highway
> safety, and transit. The new legislation is referred
> to as TEA-3 or SAFETEA, which stands for Safe,
> Accountable, Flexible, and Efficient Transportation
> Equity Act of 2003.
>
> Included in this proposal is language that
> would clarify that a "Shared Use Path" is open to
> multiple uses, including equestrian use...

First, HALLELUJAH!!  This has caused incredible
problems in Massachusetts.

However, there are actually *two* programs contained
within TEA-21/TEA-3 where this has been a problem.

1.  Recreational Trails Program

$$ specifically for trails, a relatively small pot
of money.  Usually referred to just as:  RTP

2.  Alternative Surface Transportation Program

$$ for "alternative transportation."  A *much* bigger
pot of money ($60,000,000 over 10 years in Massachusetts
alone).  This is the pot of money that has been used
to buy and "renovate" most rail trails:  all too
frequently as paved bike paths.

So, the question is:  is the change in language to
define "shared-used paths" to explicitly mention
equestrian use going to be effective for *both* RTP
*AND* alternative transportation, or just
for RTP?

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA