[RC] Horse Fatalities 2002 - Howard Bramhall

OK, it's in this month's issue of Endurance News, page 47, under the heading "Workshop."  The first thing that struck me, after reviewing the Vet Report covering the 7 horse deaths at endurance rides in the ride year of 2002 was the following sentence that was attached to each and every one:  "No specific management or veterinary circumstances have been identified that may have prevented this fatality."

I'm not sure if that line should be part of the Vet Report.  Sounds like covering your ass to me and it's hard to swallow.  Even if it's true, in all 7 cases, I do think more time, thought, and effort in finding out the exact cause of death should be given before we use this catch all phrase.  Hopefully, the Horse Welfare Committee, and, yes, I realize it's early in the game to ask them to make changes today, but, for tomorrow, I do believe we need something more credible.

Of the 7, three of the horse fatalities resulted because of accidents: two, from a broken leg; and one, a broken neck, resulting from a fall.  The other 4 appear to be from over riding, although the very brief report does not really come out and say that exactly.  Colic like symptoms, horse not drinking, ruptured stomach are the causes of death in those cases.

When you read these cases (and make sure you get out those special bifocals, if you're my age, to read the very small print) it should make you aware of just how dangerous the sport of endurance is.  As much as I love this sport, and I do, the thought of something tragic like this happening to your horse has to stick in your mind every minute of your ride.  I've come as close as anyone should have to when it comes to this experience, and, it's not something you'll ever forget.  My experience taught me a couple of things:  1)  Make darn sure this is the right horse for the sport.  As much as you may love to ride him you may find out, down the road/trail, that he's not the right candidate for endurance.  2) Training for the sport is so important!  Do not neglect this in any way.  If your guy is not ready, don't take him to an endurance ride.  Train more till you know he is ready.  3)  Do not be afraid to pull your horse at a ride on your own.  Nobody, and I mean nobody, knows your horse as well as you do.  If this is not the case, if for some reason you don't know him this well, than, quite frankly, you should wait until you do.  4)  EAting and drinking:  If the horse is not doing this either pull him or take an incredible time at the vet check until he does both!  And, even then, consider pulling.

To finish is to win, but, to leave the ride with a horse that is healthy is truly the name of the game.  Anything else makes the horse a victim and you the abuser.  Sounds harsh, I know, but, if you ever have the misfortune to go down the road named Horse Exhaustion no words can make things any worse.

To be honest, I really would like to see more horses on IV bags at some rides. Sounds crazy, I know, but consider the following:  For prevention, for hydration, for the LIFE of the horse it's a darn good idea.  After 50 miles or 100 my guess is every one of those horses who finish are dehydrated.  100 percent, and they don't recover until 48 to 72 hours later.  If your horse is off at a ride, and, it's because of dehydration, I'd rather see a horse on a bag, than on it's way to a clinic.  We need to get rid of this negative stereotype that we've put on this preventive treatment.  The sport is extreme; to prevent an equine death it might not be such a bad thing considering the alternative.

I really do hope we do better in reporting equine deaths at endurance rides.  Actually, my hope is we don't have any, but, that's probably a dream and not reality.  I will say, to Jim Holland, Laura Hayes, and anyone else who is proactive on the Horse Welfare Committee (Jim, I know you're not on the Committee, but, you should be); I want to be a part of this.  Something is missing here and we need to get things rolling.  Hopefully, we're on the right track but I know WE CAN DO BETTER.  We owe this to the horses, of that there is no doubt.

yours,
Howard